Sunday, February 21, 2010

School Interviews

Part A:

Interview 1- Self

The basics-
Age: 17
Ethnicity: Greek
Education: Current High School senior

Q: Briefly describe your school experiences. Why are you currently pursuing a high school diploma?
A: I started school not speaking English. Being scolded by people in a language that I didn't understand intimidated me and I hated school as a result. When I finally learned English, I was a perpetual "trouble maker" and I always stood up for myself and defied the teachers. After transferring schools, I began to love school, because I was in a positive school environment. I went from "trouble maker/future juvenile delinquent" to top scoring goody too shoes. I remained a straight A student all the way up to 10th grade because I enjoyed the things we were learning, I never missed assignments, and I felt respected. Then in 11th grade, I came in contact with 2 teachers that I consider to have been bad ones. I really hated their classes, and I was too preoccupied with issues in my personal life to chase after them and squeeze information out of them; so I failed both of their classes. But I learned an important lesson through this, and it brought back my personality of being ok with defying authority and vouching for myself, which I had lost over time as a result of being such a "good" student. In the end I am glad this happened because now I'm not afraid of people who try to intimidate me anymore, or use their "authority" to try to make me feel poorly about myself. Granted, other events in my life have lead to this too, but this was one factor.
The reason I am perusing a high school diploma is because it never occurred to me not to. I think that it's not even an option, it's needed if you want to progress and have options in life, because in this day and age a high school diploma is just the bare minimum. I'm looking forward to college though, my schedule will be different and allow me to spend the necessary time studying, and also I will feel better about the environment than I do now.

Q: Why are we in school so long? Is it a waste of our youth?
I often think we shouldn't be in school so long. I mean, for several years we learn the same history, math & science over and over again. It's ridiculous. But then again, I think what if people were allowed to only have 9 years of school before attending college? The sad part is I don't think most people would be mature enough to handle that. Maybe school really is like daycare; it institutionalizes young people until we have reached emotional maturity.

Q: What would an alternative to school look like to you? Why?
I think an alternative to school would allow us to have more say in what we study, and not be in a confined building. I also think the vast majority of homework should be eliminated, because it makes students resent learning, instead of being eager to learn.

Q: Do you believe that there should be a basic set of knowledge that everyone should know?
I do think there should be a basic set of knowledge. I think elementary math is crucial, and the ability to read and write is also crucial. From there on out, I think it should be up to the student what they learn.

Q: Think of the institution of school as a way to shape our society. What "shape" do you believe they are trying to create?
People who are obedient, "civilized" and trained to obey orders. And people who do not ask a lot of questions. The less we question, the easier it is for those in control to bend us into the different societal roles they need fulfilled. Essentially, the school system is a systematic way to determine what kind of societal role you can potentially fill, and then make sure you do so, even if it's not one that is desirable to you.

Q: Do you believe school provides freedom, or traps youth?
I think it does both. Let's not kid ourselves, without any education there is very little that you can do, and unfortunately, people will not want to give you opportunities in life. This is obviously not freedom, because then you are a slave to your lack of education. So in this way, getting an education can defiantly open doors for you. However, it traps you in the sense that school is always trying to determine where you fit, and if you fit somewhere you don't want to, then it's simply too bad, because everyone will view you as such.

Q: How does school fit into your life? What are some things that you get to do, or not get to do that you feel are related to how long you were in school?
School takes up a lot of my time, just being there everyday. I haven't really experienced things that I get to do or not get to do because of my education level, since I'm still in school.


Interview 2- Christothea (mom)

The basics-
Age: 41
Ethnicity: Greek
Education: Undergrad degree Polytechnic University of Athens, Grad degree Columbia University

Q: Briefly describe your school experiences. Why did you persue a college degree in both Greece and the United States?
A: Because in my country you could only be a lawyer, a doctor, or an engineer to have an decent job and reputation. And out of those I liked engineering. Also, it was considered the most difficult school to get into, so enjoyed that too. In order to get in you have to take a very competitive test,and only the top scoring students were accepted. I scored the highest in the country that year, so I was in all the newspapers as the number 1 student for engineering. It made my family proud. And so it made me happy. I am very lucky also that I happen to really like what I studied, so working hard was fine by me. And since I entered college early, when I was 16, I graduated at 20, coming in as the top student in the university. I got engaged right after, and next thing you know was moving to US with my fiancee visa. I applied to Columbia University, because it was the best in New York City, ivy league school, and everyone back home knows it by name. It was the only school I applied to, and I was accepted. I did my masters in just a year, I worked so hard, and I graduated at the top of my class again. At first I did not see any of my work pay off, and I would spend many nights crying, stressed. But now I see it has paid off. I have a job I love, and I have many offers always for other jobs, so I am excited that I have a good career- very different from just a job.

Q: Why are we in school so long? Is it a waste of our youth?
A: Yes. I think the right thing would have been nine to 10 years the most. I'm bored of seeing you do the same things year after year. I think it's a waste of time. It seems like some things they want drilled in your head, enough is enough. I think school can defiantly be condensed and still be effective. Or do how it is in other countries, and move on already. When one concept is learned, keep progressing, instead of repetition.

Q: What would an alternative to school look like to you? Why?
A: I think visits in libraries, museums, work sites, nature, and it would be flexible in schedule. And getting rid of homework that is not needed. Why are you in school for 8 hours if its not to learn the material? If this is not enough time then God help us. I understand the idea behind it, but in practice it's not working. It's abused, not handled correctly. And so it becomes negative effect.

Q: Do you believe that there should be a basic set of knowledge that everyone should know?
A: Yes, there is a basic set. To read and write. To do functional math. To know the countries on a map. And to follow with what happens in the world.

Q: Think of the institution of school as a way to shape our society. What "shape" do you believe they are trying to create?
A: One where people know to follow instructions, and one that has less tolerance for free thinking. This is because many times work performance is based on standardized skills that have no representation of individualism. So it becomes unnecessary in the running of society. No one needs to be an individual. When something is not needed, it has tendency to go away. This I believe is the goal. To eliminate the unnecessary: individual personality.

Q: Do you believe school provides freedom, or traps youth?
A: It is organized in a way that forms a trap. But to not have it is worst. I suggest everyone tries the best to get it; the best way to free yourself from a system you don't want is from inside.

Q: How does school fit into your life? What are some things that you get to do, or not get to do that you feel are related to how long you were in school?
A: I get to do the first few things we learned in elementary school. And what I learned in college. Only these two help me in life, everything in between was not as relevant. In terms of level of eduction, being a graduate of polytechnic and Columbia university is a big help, people have respect immediately in a job setting.

Q: Comparing the US system to the system you were schooled in, what are the major differences? What impact does this lead to?
A: The Greek system is very strict, has high performance standards, separates citizens into the intelligent and the nobodies. Either you are highly educated or not educated at all. Once you are in, you go and are associated with the best, for those though who don't make it, that's it. Your opportunity is gone. This is the only benefit of the US system, they give chances many times.

Interview 3- Ioannis (dad)

The basics-
Age: 56
Ethnicity: Greek
Education: Incomplete elementary school (3rd grade)

Q: Briefly describe your school experiences. Why didn't you finish elementary school?
A: My family needed me to work, so when I was 8 I began to work as an apprentice to a shoemaker. Education was not a consideration, and back then in Greece it wasn't required.

Q: Why are we in school so long? Is it a waste of our youth?
A: No. it's the most important thing. That shapes up your whole life.

Q: What would an alternative to school look like to you? Why?
A: You can go into specilazed trade. You become a better person, when your educated. Its not only job but lifesyle choices.

Q: Do you believe that there should be a basic set of knowledge that everyone should know? If so, why does it seem that certain necessities go obsolete?
A: It is important, because they explore your understanding and your mind.

Q: Think of the institution of school as a way to shape our society. What "shape" do you believe they are trying to create?
A: The better people you have the better country. You live longer, healthier, happier.

Q: Do you believe school provides freedom, or traps youth into a systematic control system to fulfil all the societal characters?
a: It's supposed to liberate you. How much you understand.

Q: How does school fit into your life? What are some things that you get to do, or not get to do that you feel are related to how long you were in school?
A: Just about everything. Eduction makes you.

Q: Comparing the US system to the system you were schooled in, what are the major differences? What impact does this lead to?
a: Over there, even if you have the capacity to learn you can not. Its like luck. Here its better.

No comments:

Post a Comment