Thursday, October 15, 2009

Self Experiment (Hw #11)

Over the summer, I found myself growing increasingly annoyed with AIM, and the whole IM'ing thing. I figured, the people who I'm close with have my number, and I talk to them often through text, so why am I on AIM? It only leads to conversations that start with "Hey" climax to "What's up?" and then trail off awkwardly since I don't see many of those people regularly, or don't know enough about each other to hold up a conversation. I decided I would stop using AIM, and I did.

So for my experiment, I wondered what it would be like to sign on again and stay on for 3 days. Would I see that I missed it, and was just going through a phase in the summer? Or would I still not want to be signed on?

On Day 1 of AIM, I enjoyed it, and found myself having a lot of conversations. I thought to myself, I might just start signing on again.

On Day 2 of AIM, I again felt like it was pointless to be on it, like I did in the summer.

On Day 3 of AIM, I just wanted to sign off because I was not liking it again.

On all 3 days, I scrolled down my buddy list a couple times a day, and all of a sudden I was in the know on people's lives based on their away messages. I saw who is in a relationship with who, what date they started going out, the problems they were having, or if it was still "amazing". I don't personally care for that information, so getting the gossip or whatever on people's personal lives is not enough to draw me back into AIM. And since conversation wise I dislike it, I ended the experiment by signing off, and not signing back on since. I think my feelings in the summer were not just a phase, but just indicative of the way I've changed maybe since last year, when I used to not mind the pointless conversations, and admittedly enjoyed reading juicy away messages.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. This was my exact experience with AIM. After using it for years, I got so sick of the awkward conversations with people I haven't seen in a while or people who just want to hustle me for the homework.

    I love this post because it is honest. In fact, your style of writing is so inherently sarcastic and snarky that it's literally fun to read -- it doesn't feel like a chore (as with some other people's writing).

    My favorite part of this post was where you illustrated the plot arc of pretty much every AIM conversation that has ever (or ever will) transpire. You are able to synthesize these common, shared experiences into concise and understandable quips, which is why I feel validated and enthused when I read your blog.

    Last week, I dusted the cobwebs off my AIM client and decided to give it another try. At first it was cool, and it was kinda like I had gotten it from a hip vintage store -- so retro and nostalgic. But as soon as I got the first "Hey/whatsup/nmjcu/lol k/brb", I remembered what exactly made me quit in the first place. I haven't signed back on since that day, nor have I even been tempted.

    Do you think maybe Facebook's chat application has replaced AIM as the main vehicle for instant online conversation? In my experience, I noticed that alot of people stopped going on AIM as frequently once people were able to chat on Facebook.

    Speaking of Facebook, it's getting awful creepy. It monopolizes almost every social medium: pictures, videos, drawings, games, chatting, coordinating, email, "poking", celebration, courtship, music, etc. The iconic "Big Brother" from 1984 is masquerading as a book of faces ;P.

    Anyways, good job Ellen! As always, I am able to connect to your writing and nod my head "yes" several times per paragraph.

    :D

    ReplyDelete