Thursday, October 1, 2009

Responding to Video Comments (HW #9)

Carol,
Thank you for taking the time to watch my video.

Your comment was helpful, because it made me consider how I could have done my video differently to provide even more insight. I feel like I was very conscious of the fact it was an assignment, and even though my expressions came naturally, my environment was not the one I'm usually in while texting. I'm usually moving around, talking to my mom and sister, doing HW. Maybe by showing that I would have gotten even more from the assignment, because I would see myself taking the actions I take every day.

I think we both share the feeling of being pulled into texting conversations as they progress, and I think we can both agree that at times we resent this. We are reluctant yet allow ourselves to become involved nonetheless. I also liked how you made me think about how my digital experiences are different when I start out with different moods. When I start out in a bad mood, texting makes me feel even worse because I become annoyed with having to answer messages that I don't really feel like answering. Don't get me wrong; I like talking to people but when I'm in a shitty mood I like to be on my own, and to have time to myself. When I start out in a good mood, texting makes me feel even better, because I find conversations are more entertaining and even funny, probably because I'm in a state of mind to appreciate them more since I'm not clouded with a bad mood. My conversations on text rarely get "deep" though. I find that on the very off chance they do, I wish the conversation was taking place in person.

I feel like both of us focused on texting, with you interested in how it affects us while we use it, and me focusing on why I feel the need to text in the first place. I feel like both parts need to be looked at if we want to gain any insight worth having (one that has the possibility to change our habits).

We both seem interested in breaking some of our digital habits, but as life comes at us, it seems comforting to rely on our safety blanket routines, and texting, tv watching and all that good stuff plays a large part in giving ourself a (false) feeling of having something we can control and manipulate, or simply loose ourselves in. So how do we withdraw? What approach should we take? I think a large part of it may be honest self reflection, and prioritizing. While our computers may be essential to complete HW and check e-mail, watching a 6 hour marathon of "E: The True Hollywood Stories" is probably not as necessary.
___________________________________________________________________

Ali Jo,
Thank you for taking the time to watch my video.

I feel like you were able to pick up my emotions from my expressions very accurately, and I'm kind of shocked that it comes across that obviously. It makes me wonder what else my facial expressions might give away in my daily life.

I actually did feel annoyed in the video, because I had a long day and just wanted to be done with my responsibilities so I could lay down and listen to my ipod (escaping from one digital device to the other -_-). By pointing out that this comes across visually in the video, you made me wonder why I didn't just say I was busy and throw the phone in some corner of my room for the rest of the night. But as I mentioned in my write up, I continued to text even after the video ended, and probably continued looking annoyed (with breaks of mild amusement) the whole time.

I feel like both of us had varying degrees of this annoyance expression, however you focused more on analyzing different digital media, and pointing out some of the things that are deliberately created to be subtle to the average person (the sexually violet video games and such) while I feel like my write up talked about me personally, and for the most part stated things that are obvious. I guess that's ok too for now, but noticing the subtle things and their huge implications is something I'm striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment