Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Comments On Other People's First Thoughts (HW #4)

Ali Jo,
I liked how even though you weren't inspired to write, you wrote out your thought process. I think it turned out very well, and was honest and insightful. One of the lines that stuck out to me is when you say "When I walk into your class in the morning, I am at first empowered by the floral 'fight technological oppression' sign, only to be confused and disheartened when I find that the neon blue tape connects it to the back of a fancy computer". It's a great, detailed observation, yet it also says something deeper about our attempts to "fight" or get away from how digitalized our world has become.

I feel your struggle to listen and to nurture your own thoughts, and I agree with you when
you say that the relationship between man and his screen is a complex one. I also think your
feeling of hopelessness is shared by many of us who want to stop aimlessly roaming the web or
watching a TV show we don't particularly care for. It's as though we are involuntarily
dependent on technology to cure our boredom and dissatisfaction with the present moment.

I also like your added thoughts, and the idea of the detachment of our physical being and
our digital identity. I also brought this up in my post, but I think the idea of the authentic
self is also complicated, because even in our physical, daily lives many people do not present
themselves honestly, or attempt to blend in with the crowd. By doing so and muting their own
voices so that others may not discover them, perhaps there is a point were it becomes silent
even to them. If the person does manage to keep a sense of who they really are though, I would
argue that it is possible for them to feel more comfortable expressing it in the digital world
were they have their screen to shield them.

To be honest, I think all of your ideas were well developed, so I guess the only suggestion
would be to maybe have more conversations with other people, such as the one with Ian
that lead to your expanded thoughts.

Your post did get me thinking about when we are going to try and be digital free for a few
days. I wonder what will take the place of the digital stuff. Also, it made me think about how
I've been getting sick of AIM and decided not to go on it anymore. For me, that seemed pretty
radical, but then, just like the blue tape was attached to a fancy computer, I'm still incredibly
attached to texting and listening to music on my ipod so even this bold move really amounts
to no significant detachment.

Good job, I look forward to reading more from you as your thoughts develop!

_________________________________________________________________

Russell,
I really liked the format of your post. I think talking about the tabs you had open on your
computer was a smart and innovative way to approach the assignment. Also, it gave a look into
your natural, daily life.

I agree with your idea of facebook and how it has redefined the word "friend". The majority
of people who are facebook friends are probably people who you don't share a real bond with,
yet they can have an up close and personal look into all the details of your life...your
relationship status, your status updates, and pictures. Since this is the case, and
the friends you do share a bond with you also text and IM with, what is the real motive behind
having a facebook?

I can connect with your thoughts on fantasy football, and the idea of not being able to do
something in real life and instead doing it digitally. When I was younger, around 9 or 10 years
old I used to play those fashion games on the web (embarrassing to admit) where you can
dress the model up in whatever you want. In reality, I didn't have a closet full of trendy,
cute cloths to play around with, but there was something satisfying in pretending.

I think all of your thoughts were well developed, the only suggestion I would have is to
maybe have done another tab or idea that you had. But really, you did a great job as it is.

Your post did get me thinking about my own life though, because I used to have a facebook
as well. Then one day, I just decided to up and delete it. I, like you, had many facebook "friends"
but as to how many I actually talked to was much, much fewer. I just felt that for me it had
become pointless because of that, and because when I looked at the idea of a profile page, it
seems like a form of self advertisement. Is the "about me" section more than just a
proclamation of "I'm cool! Be friends with me!"? Is the profile pic more than just a way to show
others how attractive you can be when posing at that angle, in that lighting, with those effects?
Although recently I have seen people who leave the about me blank, and who just put a candid
shot as their profile pic so I guess that it is avoidable.

Good job on your post, I look forward to reading more of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment